Monday, June 13, 2011

Batik

PLAYING WITH THE
LAYERS OF 
COLOURS

Hello, how are you dear fellows...
Hope all of you had a wonderful weekend...
One of my sweet friend asked me that 
"am I busy with some thing that no crafting project from a long time..."
Hmm yes a bit busy and bit lethargic because of summer...
But today I am here with a very interesting and amazing craft i.e
BATIK
A simple definition is to
dye white fabric with the coating of layers of wax...
It can be done on silk or on cotton or any pure fabric
which can be dyed easily...



In the above picture you can see my two batik samples ..
I used white cotton and simple powdered dye colours...

I feel it is really a amazing and fun craft, 
every time you got a different result which surprised you 
and a feeling of cheerful achievement ...
  OKlets start the fun part

What you will need is
Simple powder dye colour of your choice
White cotton fabric
Waxes i.e bees and paraffin wax
Some brushes and a Pattern
that's all...


My pattern... 
I enlarged it in the Photoshop and take a printout...
The size of my fabric is 17x17, so my image size is13x13


I wanted to do my batik in Orange shade... 
So first of all I dyed my fabric in the most light orange colour
To make a dye I used a pinch of colour
with pinch of salt and mix well in 6 cups of boiling water
in a steel wide mouthed bowl...
 Dip the cloth just for 5 minute, more you dip,
more you get dark colour


After drying the fabric I transfer the pattern on the fabric
with the transfer pen which can be easily removed 
after dipping in water


Than I start to coat the pattern with the wax...
For good absorption of wax in the fabric mix equal part of 
bees and paraffin wax...
Always heat the wax in double boiler but 
if you dont have a double boiler, don't be worried...
Take a big pan, fill half with water, heat it
and combine both the waxes in a small tin or bowl 
and put this small pan in water filled pan...
gradually your wax come in liquid water like consistency...
Than you can apply it on your pattern...


After completing  the wax coating 
I added more pinch of colour in that same water 
to give it a bit darker tone and 
dipped my waxed fabric again for 7 to 8 minutes...
Be carefull for one thing that you should use a big tub 
for dying that your waxed shouldn't not cracked...


It is my second time dipped fabric and remember that 
my waxed pattern is as it is


Now it is the time to give it some texture... 
In batik the background texture has its own importance...
And it can be given by as many layers as you can...
In the above picture you can a brush which I used for texture, 
it is a simple hard bristle brush...


I simply dipped the brush in the wax and  move it clockwise 
on the fabric to make swirls like this...
Now some more fabric is covered with wax ...


Its third time to dip in colour, but right now 
I added a pinch of Red colour to that same water and
dipped my fabric for another 7 to 8 minutes
for the next darker tone...


Now after drying my fabric is ready to remove wax from it...
I used newspaper and iron for this purpose...
lay your fabric on the two to three layers of newspaper 
and covered it with more three newspaper sheets...
Iron it on high and you can see the wax started to appear on
the newspaper...


Change both the layers and press once again, 
check your fabric that if any wax remain if so than press again


Now it is the final result of your project... 
A white fabric turned into a three toned beautiful colour...
Colour of your choice
Pattern of your choice
And the
Happiness of your achievement


I made two piece of batik... one in  green colour...
in this I used brush texture in fan shape


I want to make two more with same pattern but 
 in different colour for Four Cushions
 What do you suggest for another two colours?
What about one in yellow ? 
Give me your opinion for next two colours ...



I am waiting for your suggestions about next two colours... 
Hope you like to help me....
It is the basic way of doing batik, hope you like it
and try something more interesting and beautiful...
Any question or anything which confuses you please ask me either 
in the comment box or email me...
I love to reply you as quick as possible

HAPPY BATIKING




LINKED UP WITH







#ff63e0

Photobucket
Strictly Homemade Tuesday
topsy turvy tuesdays
Tip 
Junkie handmade projects










BWS tips button
craft

37 wonderful people gave their lovely opinion:

Johanna said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Hello Farah,
this is a wonderfult technique. You should be a teacher for handcrafting. You know all the techniques, tips and tricks and you get always so pretty results. Thank you for sharing this tutorial.
Best greetings, Johanna

χρυσάνθη said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I like the batik!!! Very nice work!!! Thank you for tutorial!!!
Kisses

Ninu said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I ve never seen this technique.. enjoyed the post! they came out so lovely..next colour suggestion would be yellow n red!

farah said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

hi farah. this looks great a lovely design and a beautiful colour combination. always look forward to your creations. keep it up

Shoumi Aslam said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

So elegant ... nice colour combination and lovely design tooo

vaheeda said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

thanks a ton for this wonderful tutorial..never see this tecnique..

Pearlin J said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

My aunt used to Batik.Its a wonderful way to create fabrics you like rt? Wonderful tute.tfs

MiniBinoy said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

batik is a very interesting hobby.. the design you have used is very pretty Farah!..i have done it once on cushion covers, a long time back..yours has comeout very well .. beautiful colours used!

A Spoonful Of Sugar said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Thanks for sharing your technique! Beautiful.

Celestina Marie Designs said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Hi Farah,
This is simply wonderful. You are so very talented. Your fabric and design turned out gorgeous.
Thank you for sharing.
Have a creative day.
Hugs from Texas, Celestina Marie

nima said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

wow...that's lovely Farah..Thank you for sharing the tutorial

Hani@Craftionary said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

hehe!! Yes, your back in form haan.. :) I should have asked for something else.. I love your batik napkins.. it must have been fun making them.. the tutorial was very easy to follow..
Thanks

Remodelaholic said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

This is totally cool! i love it! Great job!

Cassity (from Polly want a crafter!)

big B said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Beautiful! Your colors and pattern are just gorgeous!

Tanya @ Greetings From the Asylum said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Wow! You really put a lot of work into this and it shows! Thanks for sharing your lovely creations!

Mare said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

beautiful!!!....dear farah you are so creative:)).... thanks for sharing the tutorial:))...
kisses:))...
M

Biljana said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Amazing job, your creations is so pretty:-)
Hugs, Biljana

Kathy said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I am so un artistic, that I can't give an opinion but just love coming to your site to see what you can come up with, your fabulous!

Yasmin said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Amazing! I just love popping into your blog .It's so refreshing to see so many different crafts , all done so well.
There is an award waiting for you at my blog.

E.T said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Hello fellow Pakistani crafter! Just found your blog and come to think of it we start blogging almost around the same time! This is indeed very lovely! Do you sell your stuff? Where in Pakistan do you live? I am from Karachi. Do stop by my blog sometime.
hugs

SavannahGranny said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Farah, You always amaze me. You are such a creative artist. Everything you make is so beautiful in form and function. I would think a pretty peacock blue and sunny yellow cushion would go good with the mix.
Love, Ginger

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Farah, that is gorgeous. Thanks for sharing the tutorial at WUW.

Julia Miller said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Great tutorial! My husband lived in Malaysia and Sri Lanka for awhile and loves Batik. Maybe we'll try it on some furniture!

551eastdesign.blogspot.com

amy/chick chick sewing said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Wow, these are beautiful batik! Thank you for the information - I'd like to try these one day :)

Dr Sonia S V said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Very detailed and lovely tutorial
Cheers from Bangalore ,India
Dr Sonia S V
http://cardsandschoolprojects.blogspot.com

A Few Pennies said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Beautiful colors--would make wonderful pillows and lampshade covers too!

Nika said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I love batik! And I love your work! Thank you for tutorial.

Kristen said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

What a fun technique! Thanks for sharing! I'm stopping by to thank you for leaving me a comment on my blog and I'm looking forward to reading and exploring around yours.

Kristen
Turning a House into a Home

FoodMuster said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Wow Farah! This is gorgeous! What a lovely tutorial and what an amzing Batik design! I discovered you on Boost my Blog friday and I am so glad I did! As for your next two colours, maybe a purple and yellow? Or a blue and red? Whatever colours I am sure they will look beautiful:)
I'm following now to see what you do next:)

Lovely Light said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Hi there- found you through Savvy's hop and am a new follower. I love the technique- very cool. You make it seem so easy. I hope you have time to follow my life in South Africa by http://withoutcomplexities.blogspot.com

Have a great weekend!

~Tablescapes By Diane~ said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Hi lovely lady. I enjoy coming over and see all your new gorgeous Idea's !!! You are so good Farah!Thanks so much for your lovely comments on my new Tablescape so sweet of you. I hope you have a Great Weekend.
XXOO Diane

Naturally Carol said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I have never seen batik in this design..it's wonderful work and very pretty! I would love to see purple or blue.

Brandi said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I've never heard of this technique before. very pretty! thanks for sharing Farah. blue, purple or red would be great colors to try.

Marlee said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

This is so neat! Found you at the Build My Blog blog hop and am glad I did, am a happy new follower :)

http://marleeindebt.blogspot.com/

TanyasTreasureTrove said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Hi! I'm following you from B.M.B.F!
I hope you visit me and return the
follow:0)

Santosh Bangar said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

1st here but i am realy impressed with ur work so beautiful i have also interest in craft but do not continue but u inspired me i will definetly follow u
do visit m site thogh not as impressive as urs it is food blog

HandMade Gifts and Souvenirs said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Hey, Beauty. I love your Blog. I will come back soon. All the best in 2012. Flor*****

LinkWithin