Monday, November 15, 2010

Cookies

Sweet Crispy Cookies
as
Nan Khataies



Today I want to share some very delicate, aromatic 
and tempting cookies, 
these cookies are bit more sweet and 
have a very strong and tempting aroma 
of Cardamom...
You cant stop your hand after one another...
A very simple and and quick to make recipe
and with very less ingredients.
I named them 
Sweet Crispy Cookies,
but here it is commonly called
Nan Khatai.
 
Now lets start


The  main ingredients are 
12oz of White flour
6oz of Castor Sugar
6oz of Clarified Butter
1tsp of cardamom powder
1tsp of Baking Powder
A pinch of baking Soda


Clarified Butter... here we called it GHEE, 
so may be you can have GHEE on some stores, 
most probably you can find it on Pakistani and Indian grocery stores.
But the method to make ghee from the butter is very simple
just heat up the butter on low flame and when it melts,
then cook it for some more time and its GHEE.
Oh yes the butter should be WHITE BUTTER. 


In a bowl mix sugar and cardamom powder 
and ghee..


Beat until it becomes light and fluffy as shown 
in the above picture


Here I mix white flour, baking powder, and baking soda
and sieve it. When you feel your batter 
is in rich creamy texture 
then stop beating and add flour in the batter.


Do this mixing is with your hands, first you feel it crumbly 
but gradually as you knead, it will become smooth.
Remember the texture is not as smooth as the pizza dough, 
it will remain a bit grainy.

Now you can see the final dough texture, 
set aside for 10 to 15 minutes before making the cookies.


 As  I said its not as smooth as a bread or pizza dough, 
so you should make cookies with hand 
one by one like shown in the picture.


 Oh yes two more things for garnishing
some roughly chopped Pistachio, an egg yolk
and 2tbs milk, beat yolk and milk for glazing.


 Now you made all your cookies then glaze them with egg yolk
and sprinkle some pistachios


 Preheat your oven at Gas Mark 4 or 180c, or 350F
Bake them for about 20 to 25 minutes,
otherwise its smells told you that we are ready
With this recipe you can make 30 cookies of this size


 Hm mm it smells so good believe me, they are very crispy, delicate
and like melting in the mouth when you take a bite.


A closer view, 
glazing of egg make it  very 
colourful and tempting.
You can hold them in air tight jar up to one week easily.


A basket full of  sweet, tasty and very aromatic 
NAN KHATAIES


Come and have a cup of tea with me,
hope you will love it.

These cookies are very traditional and used in common day to day life, 
people like it because of its crispness and very tempting smell of
Cardamom.

I try to write and picture every step that it will be clear 
to all of those who wants to make it.
But if you feel any problem or and confusion about
anything in the recipe, please asked me either in comment box 
or Email me,
I will be glad to answer your every question.
Christmas is approaching, may be it add up more taste to your table,
so if anyone of you who tries it please let me know how you find it.


HAPPY BAKING



Linkies for this recipe 



Visit thecsiproject.com
hearthandsoulgirlichef







29 wonderful people gave their lovely opinion:

Johanna said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Hi Farah,
your cookie recipe sounds wonderful. We love cardamom and I will bake them as a surprise for my husband. I guess the cookies are great for tea of coffee. They look so yummy and you set the table so beautiful. You are really good in home decorating.
Thank you so much for sharing this recipe. Do you want to join in the party at Wednesday?
Greetings, Johanna

P.S.: Give a little cuddle to your cat Percy.

Liz said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Farah, those look so good! I am a cookie lover! I will have to try those, the pistachios are a surprise and I bet they give it just that right special flavor!

Liz said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I copied this but I was concerned about the temperature. 240 C converted to Farenheit says it would be 466 F which is a very high temperature. Most of our cookie recipes are at 350 F to 375 F...which would be 177 to 190 C- Would you say that it is a very hot oven temperature compared to other recipes?

Farah Muzaffar said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Liz I used 220 to 240 C normally and It works perfectly, yes in F it goes very high, but its the right temperature, but you can go for 180c , may be pressure of gas is changed...

Lisa said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

These look fabulous! It's so interesting to read about foods from other cultures.

Beedeebabee said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Hi Farah! Oh boy...I can just smell those yummy cookies! I would love to try these out...I love trying foods from different countries. Thank you so much for taking the time to photo everything so beautifully and for the great way you explained everything...and yes, I think I will sit for some tea and yummy cookies with you. Thank you! xo Paulette

Nan said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Thanks for join my blog hop,
I'm following you.
Nan
http://beonefineday.blogspot.com

Melynda said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

How beautiful your cookies look, and the process seems easy as well. A nice recipe to share, so tempting! Thanks for sharing.

Jess @ Frugal with a Flourish said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Those sound delicious! Yum! Thanks for sharing!

ayumills said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Those cookies look really YUMMY, Farah!!

Pamela said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Hi Farah!
These cookies look awesome!!! I like cookies that have some sort of different spices and nuts. I will try to make these for Christmas. I also have an old Italian cookie that has figs and hazelnuts to try also.
Thanks for the recipe!!
Pamela xo

Johanna said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Hi Farah,
thats me again. Thank you for joining the party. Now it is really an International party. I think everybody will love your cookies and you made a great tutorial with excellent photos. The photo of the measure cup is so helpful.
Greetings, Johanna

Happier Than a Pig in Mud said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

What a pretty cookie and something that would be different! Thanks for sharing:@)

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Oh these look fabulous and so yummy. Great recipe that I will definitely try. Your tray looks stunning. I would love a cup of tea and a cookie with you. Hugs, Marty

big B said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Hi Farah,
These cookies look delicious I love cardamom and have made cardamom bread but never cardamom cookies. Lovely post!

June said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Hi Farrah,
Not only do these sound so good, but they are so pretty too. You made the recipe so easy to follow...thank you for that.

I went back and read your previous post too, and you found some lovely treasures while shopping. I have been doing a little of that myself. I love to see what I can find out there that nobody else wants anymore.
It is always so great to hear from you.
hugs to you...

parTea lady said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Those cookies look delicious and sound perfect to enjoy with tea. I like cardamom and pistachios, so this would be a good recipe to try. Thanks for posting the recipe and step by step photos.

Lindy said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Hi Farah, I so enjoyed reading your recipe and looking at your yummy picture. Makes me wish I could cook! Loved your post!

Susan @ Living with Punks said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Those look great and I can't wait to make these, Farah. The pistachios make it look so great.

Bella said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Hello Farah, Mmmm your cookies look delicious, I have the urge to bake lately too :-)
Bella

a moderate life said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Hello Farah! I wanted to personally welcome you to the hearth and soul hop this week! I am now following your blog. Your cookies look lovely! I adore the scent and flavor of cardamom and to tell you a secret, I often chew on one of the seed heads! I like how you put pictures of each step to make the recipe easier for new people to follow! thanks so much for sharing on the hearth and soul hop this week! All the best! Alex@amoderatelife

Renate D. said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Hello Farah,
thank you for visiting my blog. I enjoy the cup of tea with you an your yummy cookies!
Greetings, Renate D.

Colleen @ MuralMaker&More said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Yum, Farah! I don't think I told you, I spent a few months in London (years ago) with a family from Bombay. She didn't bake sweets, although I did learn a lot of cooking recipes. But we would pick up sweets from the store. Distinctive flavor that I miss. It was in 1980.

Thanks for visiting! Always good to see you.

girlichef said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Oh my goodness! I cannot tell you how amazing these look...my stomach is rumbling after just reading about them and seeing your process. Absolutely gorgeous, I'm so glad you've joined us at the Hearth and Soul Hop this week...looking forward to devouring more of your delicious blog :D

SavannahGranny said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Oh Farah, You are such a lovely person. Thank you so much for your visit.
I will be sharing our trip in the near future. It is the busiest time of the year in USA. Holidays are taking a lot of preparation. I am sure you know about the holiday rush, during your holidays, for the women in your land.
This cookie recipe looks great. I will try it for my holidays. You make it look so easy. Thank you for sharing your recipe and your life.
Hugs, Ginger

Brandi said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Looks delicious! I gave you an award today!
http://bet1975.blogspot.com/2010/11/who-me.html

Rubina said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Thank you so much for sharing delicious recipe . I will try it soon and so glad to follow your blog.

Rene' said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Farah,
Thank you so much for linking your beautiful cookies up to Eats and Treats! I enjoyed learning how to make your cookies from your pictures and instructions. I have never made a cookie like this, but hope to try in the near future.

MiniBinoy said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

farah the combination of cardamom and pista is absolutely tempting!.. have saved ur recipe:)

LinkWithin